Friday, October 17, 2008

Authentic Marketing (And Success) Require You to Look Within

Let's face it: being self-employed, our businesses are fundamentally a reflection of every part of us. It's not like working for a corporation where you don't really control the outcome of the business unless you're at the top. Who you and I "are" as people literally affects our businesses, every day, every minute, every second, with every breath.

Knowing that the "inner" is directly reflected in the "outer," it's especially so for those working solo. If there's turmoil or disconnection within you as a person, it will be reflected in your business. If there's purpose, acceptance, and alignment, things come to you without struggle.

For me personally, this past year has been a year of reflection and re-gearing for the next level of my business, almost an incubation phase. I've come to the realization that I needed to stop listening to so many OTHER people's opinions of the next journey for my business and needed to look inside. And that included seeing what's authentic, what my purpose is, and what I'm here to do with my clients. It's been about healing the past GUNK that's often stopped me and about strengthening WHO I am as a person, to then best fulfill what I'm here to do (and create an even more delicious business doing it).

Years ago, I thought that attracting clients was 100% about fancy marketing. I was wrong. The longer I am in business and the longer I work on my own spiritual and personal growth, the more I've gotten clear that attracting clients and having the business of your dreams is actually more a 3-slice pie. Sure, Marketing is one of those slices, and a very important one (hey, you've got to take ACTION to attract clients. No excuses).

But, the other two slices of the pie are not always talked about openly. Honestly, I haven't always talked about them in public either, for fear of sounding a little too "Woo Woo", if you know what I mean. Most times I would just hint at them, hoping people would read between the lines and get the point. However, I'd be cheating you if I didn't tell you more about those two other slices to Client Attraction success, because they're so important.

If marketing is one slice of the pie, Manifesting is another. And by manifesting, I mean the Law of Attraction, what you focus on with great feeling, you attract into your existence. At its most basic, here's how it can be described: If you're continually focusing on having a full practice of yummy clients who pay you what you're worth, then you will start to attract that. If you're focusing rather on the LACK of clients and you're ticked off that people aren't paying you what you're worth, then you will attract that also (meaning, not having those clients or not making enough). Simple, yet very powerful.

But, the other slice of the pie that rarely gets airtime is the Personal Growth slice: Clearing out the cobwebs. I'm talking about not worrying what people think as much and being willing to look within to either heal or change the things about you that stop you from being the successful person you were meant to be. It's about being authentic and taking a really hard look at all the baggage and the unfounded fears you've carried around since childhood (trust me, I have them too) and doing something about it.

So, what are we searching for when we go within?

Fears, limiting beliefs, negative emotions, and other unresolved stuff like shame and resentments. The reason it's so important to look within is that if that stuff is still lingering in your system, you have a more difficult time "manifesting" what you say you want. The fears and other unresolved stuff get in the way of you attracting what you wish for and essentially negate and cancel your wishes. OUCH.

Now, I am not saying you have to run out and see a shrink. That hasn't been the fastest path to growth for me personally. Rather, it's about being honest with yourself, really honest, about who you are. And getting to KNOW who you are. Calling out your fears, putting them down on paper. It's about writing down the things you say to yourself that stop you in your tracks. The more you get clear on this stuff, the more direct your impact on Client Attraction and having the business you really, really want.

It's about being authentic with yourself, in life, in business, and in your marketing. The more authentic you are in your marketing, the more Client Attractive you become. Whether you call it Spiritual Marketing or Authentic Marketing, it's super important, because if you don't do anything about it, you'll continue to get the same results you're getting now. Now for some, that's fine, but I'll bet that you're not willing to be living the exact same life 30 years from now, let alone 5 years from now. You probably want an even better situation and you want your wishes granted sooner than later.

Now, you could choose not to do anything about it and choose not to look inside. That's what I did for a long time. I was really good at avoidance and denial. But what I've found happens if you ignore the "growth" slice is that you keep struggling on some levels, wondering why things you want aren't coming to you faster. It can all seem to be an uphill battle and it can become really frustrating, making you want to throw in the towel and give up your business.

Well, when I started doing personal growth and becoming more authentic many years ago, the struggle started fading away and EASE started showing up. And the more I look at my long-ingrained fears and work on the other gunk that's previously slowed the next level of success I've imagined, the more that success shows up for me.

It's a process I continue ruthlessly, and help my clients with as well. Yeah, we talk about SERIOUS marketing, but this stuff too, because it all works. And it certainly pays off, in more ways than one. Sure, lots of clients and greater 1ncome are the payoffs, but you also get freedom, joy, and ease as a byproduct. That's the real payday, if you ask me.

Your Assignment:
Begin by making the decision to look within and be honest about what you find. If you resist it, it will persist. Make a list of the fears and limiting beliefs, the old junk you've avoided or that keeps coming up and clogging the pipeline to the success you so dearly want. Be willing to take the same no-excuses approach we talk about with Client Attraction Marketing, and apply it to this as well. It takes a little courage at first, but the more you do it, the easier it gets. I know you can do it and the results will astound you. I promise.

No comments: